Monday, March 24, 2014

Top 7: Knits for Toddlers

Continuing from the Top 5: Knits for Babies from yesterday, here's my Top 7 list of Knits for Toddlers (I couldn't cut it down to five!). Note that some of these knits also work for 6 months old babies - especially if you have a summer baby, where warm winter knits are required at that age.

My Top 7: Knits for Toddlers

1: Lark Vest



This surprises nobody. You've already seen it here five times before, but there is no getting away from it: Vests are brilliant for toddlers, and Lark is - in my opinion - the prettiest and coolest vest for little boys.

2: Knitted Trousers


I've knit four pairs of these (three for the little one) simply because they are brilliant, simple trousers and woolen trousers are good for the little ones in winter time. I'm quite fond of my main modification to the original pattern: Elastic waistband. For crawling babies I'd also recommend reverse stockinette stitch, since the knit stitch side is softer against the skin (the pair in the photo is an example of that). I have to admit that these days I 'cheat' and sew woolen trousers for him instead!

3: The Poppy Sweater - or another thin sweater


The Poppy sweater took ages to knit, but the result was completely worth it. It's so pretty and it was worn a lot when he was around one year old (the photo is from his first birthday)! Another thin sweater, which was also used a lot, is this one, which is much faster to knit.

4: A thick cardigan or sweater


We also use heavier cardigans (in particular) or sweater for outdoor life during spring and autumn - and for driving in the car during winter. The one in the photo is an example, but it could also be the September Cardigan, which my mum knit for him (it's so cute!), or a cabled one like the most recent one she knit for him (I cannot find the pattern online). I also knit this simple sweater from a generic pattern in Strikk til nøstebarn. 

5: Raindrop Hat


The Raindrop Hat is such a cute hat and fun to knit! I prefer ear flap hats for the little ones because you avoid all the trouble of keeping their ears warm while maintaining their eyesight... Of course it makes is slightly harder for them to put it on themselves, but we're getting there. I've knit this twice and we use it all the time.

6: Mittens


I wrote about these from Strikk til nøstebarn a few days ago.

7: Collared Pixie Balaclava


Balaclavas are brilliant in winter time and fulfill the kindergarten 'no strings' criteria. This pattern is great because I like the cute pixie form, but I'm also quite fond of the modifications I've introduced. The only drawback of this pattern is that it doesn't quite cover the forehead as much as I would like, so I've now taken to sewing woolen, jersey-lined balaclavas instead.

What's your favourite knits for toddlers?

Stay tuned for the Not-so-useful Knits for Babies Top 5 tomorrow!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hej Birgitte. Skønne ting - Jeg skal vist have Rasmus' søster og mor i gang med endnu flere ting til Selma :-) Kh Annelise

Birgitte said...

Hej Annelise. Ja, det må du bestemt - det er så dejligt med hjemmestrikket til de små :) Jeg er i øvrigt vild med din blog - det er nogle fine ting, du laver!
Kh Birgitte

Unknown said...

I love your selection!! And I'm keeping them for future reference, I'm sure some of these can be adapted to little girls..
Do you know if Strikk til nøstebarn is available in English?

Unknown said...

Hej Birgitte. Mange tak:-) Vidste slet ikke at du havde en blog. Men da var vi forbi Brian og Antje, så jeg din fine vest med dit mærke i, så jeg måtte fluks hjem og finde bloggen - super fin:-) KH A

Birgitte said...

@Sophie: As far as I know, Strikk til nøstebarn is only available in Norwegian - alas!