Tuesday, July 05, 2011

FO: Gerda - or The Long Cosy Red Winter Cardigan

I see myself as a sweater knitter, but I must admit there haven't been many of those around this year. But now, dear readers, they're finally back! Mid May I started two new sweaters (no need to finish those WIPs, right?) and both of them ended up being done on Saturday. Here's the first one: my brilliant new red cardigan!



What's not to like? :) 
I think it's going to get a lot of wear once winter arrives. I chose a sturdy wool combination so I expect it'll keep its shape and be able to stand long-time wear without pilling.

Pattern: Gerda (Rav link) from Mere Feminin Strik by Lene Holme Samsøe (so far available in Danish only).
Yarn: One strand of Cushendale Woolen Mills DK, colourway Wine, bought at The Yarn Room, and one strand of Spinni Tweed (Isager Wool 1) in a red colour whose number I don't recall and it probably won't be relevant either since it was a leftover batch I bought directly at the spinning mill years ago under their own label. The yarns were in my stash, the colours just happened to match and give the right tension. Win!
Needles: 5.5 mm for ribbing, 6.0 mm for the rest.
Mods: I added 7 cm to the length before starting waist decreases. In the armholes I knit the edge st on the RS and purled it on the WS to make sewing in the sleeves easier. Otherwise I knit the edge st on all rows. That's it.
Link to my Ravelry project page: here.


Probably my timing is not the best with such a wintery knit finished in July, but when the weather on the day I finishied it looked like this...


... it may not be so bad after all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, judging by the rain in the photo, that might get some steady wear well before autumn/winter comes around!

mooncalf said...

Fantastic. Great colour, great pattern and it suits you so well.

Britt said...

Fantastisk god trøje, Birgitte! Farve, facon og dete hele er bare smukt og jeg kan godt lide at du har gjort den længere.