Tuesday, January 17, 2012

FO: The Hunter's Sweater

Until now, all I ever knit DH are a few hats and scarves. A couple of years ago he started asking whether I'd knit him a sweater. Of course I'd be happy to (I'm not the superstitious kind), but I set up the requirement that he should decide what kind of design and colour he wanted. He's quite indecisive so that postponed the project for quite some time. Then, having taken up hunting, came the desire for a real hunter's sweater and the colour choice was easy: hunter's green. I searched for yarns in the appropriate colour and we ended up agreeing on Holst Garn Supersoft in the colour Mallard (quite an appropriate name for the purpose, eh?). The next thing was to decide on the design (he chose crew neck and set-in sleeves) and the texture.

The best thing is that the colour is an exact match with the oilskin vest, which was purchased after the yarn!

I made four different swatches and he chose the one with the following stitch pattern:
Row 1 (RS): *k1, p1* to the end of the row.
Row 2 (WS): k all sts
Nice and simple, and it can be knit in the dark, too (perfect for nighttime road trips across the country!) because you can feel with your fingers what stitch you're at. I used tubular cast on and bind off for a great finish (you should try this if you haven't already!).


The sweater was done early December in good time for the last hunt of the year, and I'm told it received many compliments from the fellow hunters!


Pattern: My own, based on DHs measurements (approx. mens' size M). 
Yarn: Holst Garn Supersoft, colourway Mallard, 500g (I almost had to unravel one of the swatches to make it!), yarn held double.
Needles: 4.0 mm (3.25 mm for the ribbing). 
Ravelry project page: Here. 

And you know what? I bought an extra 250 g to make a matching sweater size 1 year! :)

7 comments:

Liselotte said...

Den er da blevet virkelig smuk, Birgitte, så jeg forstår sagtens, at den får komplimenter :-)

frksnupp said...

Lekker genser!

Allison said...

Looks awesome! That stitch pattern is really great!

Monstermønster said...

Nydelig!

Er glad i den strukturen, den funker like fint på begge sider.

GrenDesign said...

Feeed sweater! Lige sådan en, der ende med at få læder på albuerne fordi den er slidt til spåner.
Og far og barn i matchende sweater - det bliver bare SÅ cute!

Karen S, Lykkefanten said...

Meget, meget smuk og lækker trøje, og det er da ret fedt at du kan lave en far-og-søn finte ved at strikke en til ham den lille til næste vinter ;)
Da jeg så det første billede, troede jeg faktisk det var et modelbillede fra Rowan eller noget. Super sejt!

Anonymous said...

That is such a fabulous sweater!