Sunday, April 25, 2010

April FOs #4 and #5: Cardigans: Daffodil and Twenty Ten

Sunday brought me some time to sit outside in the sun and sew in 20 buttons and some side seams. After having excitedly watched Peter complete his first half-marathon (he did a full one last year) in a time much better than expected - 1h 31min :) - that was. That gave me another 2 FOs!


Pattern: Daffodil by Amimono (Rav link | knitkit shop link)
Yarn: Alpaca 2 (50% wool/50% alpaca), colourway 016 which is a greenish yellow, approx. 3.8 skeins. And a bit of the same yarn in 402 (dark grey) and 2105 (light grey) for the edges.
Needles: 3.5 mm Addi Turbo
A link to my Ravelry project page: here.

The cardigan pattern is great and the result very pretty and versatile - and it doesn't look too homemade (that's a general thing with Helga's designs, I think). An example of this is that the sleeves are different in front and back - a feature also found in tailored - and industrially produced - clothes.
I didn't find any errors in the version I have (Amimono Knit Collection Spring/Summer 2009). I feel tempted to knit another one in another colour.

The colour is outside my comfort zone (I like yellows, but mostly lemon, daffodil, and warm yellows - not really greenish yellows like this one that are also heathered), but I think it goes well with a black shirt and especially with my light denim skirt.

I think this must be the first time where I've blocked the pieces (back+fronts knit together with 3-needle-BO (and the front edge knit on) as one piece - and then the two sleeves) before sewing them together. Usually, I'm not very fond of sewing end set-in sleeves and I don't do it very well. Now I'm convinced that blocking pre-seaming is the key to get rid of this problem! So much easier and a much better result, too. In fact, I'm no longer afraid of these set-in sleeves!

And then there's FO #5:




Pattern: Twenty Ten Cardigan by Veera Välimäki
Yarn: New Lanark Aran, colourway Blueberry, 3.5 skeins!
Needles: 5.5 mm
Link to my Ravelry project page: here.

The design is clever and interesting, the yarn is - as always - great and in a gorgeous colourway. And oh how I love those shiny red buttons! All 12 of them :)

That's another two sweaters for my IntKniSweMoDo - I've now created 4 this year.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

They both look amazing, and they're both in my queue! With a bit of luck you might inspire me to actually get to work on knitting something....

Birgitte said...

Thank you! That wouldn't be a bad achievement at all! ;)
I hope you do - they are great projects :)

britt said...

FANTASTISKE, Birgitte! Som altid. i øvrigt. Meget smukke trøjer.
Daffodil ser så smuk og forårs-let ud. Farven er også en anelse ude af min komfortzone, men den er meget smuk som den ligger der.
Jeg er i øvrigt enig mht Helga's design.
Mvh Britt

Anonymous said...

Both are GREAT looking, gorgeous sweaters! Good that you got the buttons on them ;)
Hadn't seen daffodil before and now I'm very very tempted!

Paula said...

Both are lovely sweaters. I especially like the lines in Daffodil. I have never sewn in set-in sleeves on a knitted garment. You have given me a tiny bit of courage should the occasion arise.

unikarina said...

FANTASTIKE begge to... Jeg er specielt vild med Twenty en Cardigan. Jeg har købt mønstrert - og den skal blive et af de næste projekter...

ulla said...

Er da fuldstændig forelsket i Twenty ten. Er den svær for en forholdsvis nybegynder??

Birgitte said...

Thanks for all the kind words! You are wonderful :)

Ulla - Jeg har lidt svært ved at vurdere om den er svær... Altså, opskriften er let at følge, så jeg tror det ikke. Det mest særlige man skal kunne udføre er nok de forkortede rækker (short rows) på ærmerne, men det findes der jo Internethjælp til - og så synes jeg også hun beskriver meget godt hvordan i opskriften. Så hvis du kan strikke ret, vrang, slå om pinden samt diverse ind- og udtagninger, så burde det ikke være det store problem :)

fridica said...

Oooooh I love it! Beautiful, and great choice of colors! Looks soooo cozy :)