Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Cabled Sweater Dress for Winter

I have so been looking forward to showing you this one!



It's my new and very own cabled sweater dress:





Complete with waist shaping and a saddle shoulder construction where the sleeve cable continues onto the shoulder and the centre back cable continues on the extra rows knit in the neck to create back and front round the neckline.

I started this back in September and didn't really knit much on it until the weather started getting colder and I couldn't wait to wear it - the final enticement was that I wanted to wear it on our 4-days-in-London-where-we-bring-hand-luggage-only-and-must-have-room-for-heaps-of-shopping-anyway trip in the middle of November. The photos are indeed shot at Exchange Square in London, where we happened to pass by a not too crowded place, perfect for a photo shoot.

I wanted to give it a name (as I made it up myself, it doesn't come with a name), and initially thought of Newton, because, like Isaac Newton, I stood on the shoulders of giants for this one: Kim Hargreaves, Helga Isager, and Marianne Isager for design ideas, and not least Elizabeth Zimmermann for the ingenious saddle shoulder construction. Then again, Newton sounds more like the SI unit of force than a cabled sweater dress, doesn't it? :)

This may very well have become my favourite piece of clothing for this (and the next) winter!

Info:
Pattern: my own, but with no intention of publishing, at least not at the moment; if you want to make something similar, but with a less ingenious shoulder construction (if I do say so myself...) I'd suggest Aaren by Kim Hargreaves
Size: mine, that'll be a small/34" bust
Yarn: Cushendale Woollen Mills DK, almost 6 skeins, colourway Wine, bought online at The Yarn Room
Needle size: 4.5 mm
Raveled here - with many more photos!

9 comments:

Lena said...

Hold da fast hvor er den flot!! Og den sidder jo som støbt på dig. SKøn, skøn farve. Kan sørme godt forstå hvis den bliver et hit i garderoben.

Britt said...

Gosh, Birgitte! Både du og kjolesweateren ser fantastiske ud - og sammen kan I vælte verden.
Skidegodt gået!!
:-) Britt

ulla said...

Den er bare rigtig flot. Er vildt misundelig på dine strikkeevner - ja og kjolen se´føli!

Ulla said...

Piiiiift - superflot sweater, I klær hinanden godt.

Birgitte said...

Tusind tak for de søde kommentarer alle sammen! Jeg får jo helt lyst til at tage den på med det samme! :D

Tineke said...

Helt fantastisk flot er den, sikke en konstruktion, og sammensætningen af kabler gør den helt enestående. Du bliver da nød til at skrive "formlen" ned for dig selv, for sådan én er jo en total überlækker, tidløs model!

You rock, or.... you cable!

Larissa said...

Absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

Wauuuuuuuwwwwwww!!!!

Impressive and exceedingly gorgeous.. the sweater dress too! ;)

Anne said...

Sikke et vidunderligt stykke strik, Birgitte, helt fantastisk!!