Saturday, January 02, 2010

Christmas gift knitting

Christmas is over, and now it's time to show the Christmas gift knitting I did this year in order to wrap up the knits of 2009 (in a later post). One of the gifts - an earflap hat (Thorpe) for my dear old friend Karen - is not documented, but I do have photos of the other two:

A pair of wonderfully blue mittens for my mum:



Pattern: Green Autumn (Druid Mittens) by Jared Flood, #3 in Vogue Knitting Fall 2008.
Yarn: Rauma Finull, colourway 448, a bit less than 2 skeins
Needles: 3.0 mm
Modifications: I did one extra repeat on the front; I added a few rows to the cuff pattern, and I added a 2x2 ribbing inside hem to the cuff as I had seen other people do that successfully; I felted the mittens a bit upon completion - by hand, not in the washing machine! - to make them a bit warmer and nice-fitting. I'm really pleased with the result! Fortunately, so is my mum. 
Link to my Ravelry project page here.

The second gift was a Paul Smith-inspired scarf for dear boyfriend Peter:



It's knitted lengthwise in garter stitch, breaking the yarn at the end of every row to give frills. I made two-row stripes throughout, but I prefer the wrong side, where the stripes are thinner. No pattern link for this one as it is rather generic, but here's the info you need to make your own: I cast on (and bound off) 480 sts on a 3.75 mm needle and knitted the rest of the scarf on a 3.0 mm needle and fingering yarn stash. Combining the colours was a lot of fun!
Here's the link to my Ravelry project page.

No comments: