Sunday, January 03, 2010

10 resolutions for 2010

Inspired by Mooncalf and an urge to set some goals for myself in 2010 (I work best with goals, rules, and guidelines) I've put some thought into what resolutions I'd like to make for the new year, and when I had come up with 8 I thought I might as well make it 10 as it sounded better!

I can't promise that I can keep them all, but I want them to serve as inspiration - then I can always look back at the good intentions I had and reconsider.

Here we go:

1. Knit down (some of) my stash. For economic reasons as well as spatial ones. And I do have a lot of really nice stash and several plans for it, so this isn't exactly a punishment. I'll put some more thought into whether I want to make an actual Stash-o-meter or something similar, and then return to the topic.

2. Try to be less spend-y and save money for more important things. I liked Mooncalf's Saving Sunday concept in early 2009, where she was keeping tally with money spent each week and saving for the wedding trip to NYC; I don't think I'll be quite as structured (and I'm not saving for a wedding either :)) but I'd like to think twice before spending and saving money for larger things such as new specs, Italian classes, our (maybe) trip to Florence, and our new plans for saving money to be able to buy (a tiny part of) a house.

3. Improve my Italian. I learnt (some) Italian in high school, then forgot most of it, but remembered the basics. I used it a bit in Piemonte this summer, and now I want more. This autumn I've been brushing up with Linguaphone and now I want to do some more brushing up to be ready for actual Italian classes starting in February. I've decided that now is the time because it's now certain that I'm going to spend another 3 years with my fluently Italian-speaking Spanish(!) supervisor during the PhD, and I might as well take advantage of being able to practice daily. I'd love to be able to keep up a real conversation in Italian. Let's see how it goes.

(this one is ridiculous, sorry :D)
4. Keep flossing. I don't think I should add any details here, but I'm sure my dentist will be pleased and my teeth won't fall out ;)

5. Less Facebook, more reading. Books, news papers, audio books, anything.

6. Learn how to do tubular cast-on and use it. Ysolda once had a great video tutorial, where I tried it out, but never really used it and then forgot.

7. Keep running regularly, i.e. 3 times a week. I'm going to join Sparta, where my boyfriend is already a (very happy) member, so that I can prepare for the half-marathon across the bridge to Sweden in June. Then the goal is to keep up the good work rather than turning into a couch potato. And no injuries please!

8. Keep doing Pilates regularly. Maybe I should decide on a certain weekday or two where I am to do this.

9. Knit 12 sweaters. Once again, I'm participating in what is now called IntSweMoDo2010. These should mainly be knit from stash, cf. #1!

10. Try to knit 10 shawls. I also signed up for 10 shawls in 2010. I don't think I'm going to make it, but it will help with reducing the laceweight (and other) stash and give me some nice (large!) shawls to be worn as triangular scarves - I wear those all the time. Again, this should help in knitting down the stash.

What will you do in 2010?

2 comments:

juicyknits said...

Wow, great resolutions! I love the running + the 12 sweaters bits especially.

mooncalf said...

Wow - you're going to have a busy year. Good luck to you though - that is a wonderful set of resolutions. I'll be watching from the sidelines and cheering you on :)