Saturday, January 30, 2010

Two red neckwarmers...

With daylight being something I see through the window while at work, all the projects I've finished since Christmas have been in need for a weekend photography session before I could blog about them. Today, I finally have plenty of time on my hands with dear boyfriend away in Jutland hunting (foxes, not girls :)) and the weather is on my side with some nice sunshine to aid the photography.

This will be the first of several FO posts, and it contains two bright and lovely red items for keeping my neck warm and toasty. First, Thermis:


This one got a lot of attention during the knitters' event day two weeks ago, and it is indeed a pretty little thing.

Pattern: Thermis [Rav link] by Kris Knits. A great cowl design; the "Thermal" stitch pattern gives a nice texture and the addition of buttons is ingenious.
Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted in Ravelry Red; this may very well be the exact match of my favourite colour - the photo actually shows it quite well. I'm afraid I only bought a single skein when I visited Loop in London in November, but then again, it makes it all a bit more exclusive to have only this single accessory in that particular colour and this gorgeous yarn base (especially gorgeous because the inherent Malabrigo pilling will be a long time coming on an item like a cowl...). 
Needles: 4.5 mm bamboo dpns.
Buttons: 3 different ones of similar size and colour from my inherited button stash; I think the dark grey and black buttons makes it perfect for wearing with black (which is what I mostly wear...).
Modifications: I got fewer sts/inch so I cast on fewer sts (only 100). I made it a bit longer, also in the button section, so that I could get room for 3 buttons and wear it the way I do in the photo instead of the way it is shown in the pattern with the buttons buttoned at the top. Wearing it buttoned will make it good for outdoor wear, while much I prefer the other way indoors - and I do mostly wear this cowl indoors. Versatility is good thing.
Link to my Ravelry project page: Here.

The second one is Ysolda's Peaks Island Hood - though not worn as a hood:


Like mooncalf, I find wearing this one as a hood a bit too old-lady-ish, but I imagine it will be good for activities like winter shopping since hats tend to mess up my very (let's say: much too) fine hair, when I have to take them on and off all the time while leaving/entering shops. I do however like the way the Peaks Island Hood works as a scarf - it's easy to wear, it's warm, and it looks pretty! 

Pattern: Peaks Island Hood [Rav link] by Ysolda.
Yarn: Dansk Merino Kamgarn [Rav link] from Naturfiber A/S, colourway 4013. 
Needles: 6.0 mm Addi Turbo.
Buttons: 3 of the Selbu star ones I also used for Pine (follow the link for close-up) - also from the inherited button stash.
Modifications: None.
Link to my Ravelry project page: Here.

2 comments:

mooncalf said...

They both look lovely. That colour is gorgeous and cheering and really suits you.

I'm thinking of unravelling my PIHood to remove the hood bit. But probably next year...

And I must make a Thermis.

Birgitte said...

Thank you :) Well, red is my favourite colour, so I'm happy you think so!