Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Two new knitting books


Here are the two most recent additions to my collection of knitting books: two booklets by Danish knitwear designers, namely 'Blue Notes' by Susie Haumann and 'Vendestrik i lange baner' by Hanne Meedom & Sofie Meedom.

Apart from the two booklets with knitwear for babies and children that I showed you among my favourites, Susie Haumann has also published two booklets with knitwear for adult - Grey Days (sweaters) and Around (scarves) - and this is now her third booklet. Her design does not hit my style spot one, but there is always one or two designs that I like; this time so much that I felt the need to own the booklet. Among the many blue sweaters, my favourites are Baby Blue and Sky Blue. I may knit both of them, albeit in different colours.

'Vendestrik i lange baner' is quite different from 'Blue Notes'. It's much more colourful and inspirational - part of the idea with the book is to inspire the reader to combine patterns and colours in new ways. The book focuses on short rows (in Danish, vendestrik) and how this technique can be used (in a number of ways) for scarves, ties, belts, pillowcases, and blankets. I'm keen on knitting myself a blanket or two using this technique. Furthermore, while I think I know short rows quite well, I did still learn a few tricks from this book, so if you have the opportunity do take a look and be inspired.

No comments: