Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The colours of Kashmir

Since colour choice is a major part of knitting the Kashmir cardigan, I thought I'd dedicate a post to tell you about the colours I chose.


Kashmir is knit with three strands of yarn throughout:

Colour A: A wool yarn; the same colour throughout the project. In my case, this was Blackhill Højlandsuld in the colourway Bly (i.e. Lead). Link.
Colour B: A silk mohair yarn; the same colour throughout the project. I chose Blackhill Silk Mohair in the medium grey Mellemgrå. Link.
Colour C: Six (or more) different colours of a wool yarn. In the pattern a single ply yarn is used, but I used a 2-ply yarn. 

In my case, colours A and B are pretty similar. This is fairly common choice and gives a more calm look, but I'm sure it would work with two more different colours, too.

The colours chosen as Colour C are the ones that make the stripes. A mixture of dark and light colours obviously give a more stripy effect. I chose the following colours, making sure they would all go well with the dark grey main colour:
  • Blackhill Højlandsuld, colourway Nattehimmel (this was my main contrasting colour, i.e. the one I used for the sleeves and the edging; had I made pockets, I would have used this for the pockets, too) - a deep navy with blue and red tones (so pretty!). Link.
  • Blackhill Højlandsuld, colourway Blå Blomst - a clear, medium blue. Link.
  • Blackhill Højlandsuld, colourway Syrlig - a burnt yellow colour (curry, maybe). Link.
  • Jünik, colourway Desire - a bright, bluish purple. Link.
  • Holst Garn, colourway Graphite - charcoal. Link.
  • Holst Garn, colourway Hyacinth - a pale, blueish lavender. Link.
You can see them all here:
Top row (from left): Blå Blomst, Nattehimmel, Desire.
Middle row (from left): Bly (Colour A), Mellemgrå Silk Mohair (Colour B).
Bottom row (from left): Syrlig, Graphite, Hyacinth.

No comments: