Friday, March 14, 2014

My favourite knitting books


Continuing from the view of my entire collection of knitting books from yesterday, here are my current favourites. The big pile on the left (top) are all the Amimono collections and books. I think I have all of them, but I may be wrong. I do however not have all the old, single patterns, but then fashion changes so I don't mind. I think I've said enough already on why I love Helga's designs so much, so I'm sure it's know surprise to see these among my favourite books. Among them, my favourites are Finstickat (now available in Norwegian and Danish, too, as Finstrikket) because it contains so many of her best designs (including those from The Bird Collection, which I also like a lot) and the most recent collection, The Map Collection.

Other favourites for adult-sized knitwear include Kim Hargreaves and Pickles. In many ways, these two are contrasts. Kim Hargreaves is known for (too?) precise patterns, whereas I'd say Pickles is the the opposite (and perhaps consequently my favourite). I haven't knit very many of Kim Hargreaves' designs, but I like to be inspired by her books and I particularly love that many of the garments are simple and fit into a non-knitted wardrobe. Pickles also make designs in line with current trends, and I guess this is the common denominator for all my pattern favourites.

On the right side are my children's favourites. Recently, there has been quite a few high quality Danish booklet publications with knits for babies and children. High quality patterns and lovely, useful knits. I mentioned these four as well as the classic/must-have Strikk til Nøstebarn yesterday. The latter does not have the same high design standard as the booklets, but instead you can find a pattern for everything. It contains versatile, generic patterns for children of all sizes. A recent addition is the much-hyped Den Store Guttestrikkeboka. I truly adore this for all the inspiration it gives me on how to dress my little one and how to use knitwear in his wardrobe. I'd buy it just for that. Even so, I've been reluctant to start up any of the projects - I thinks it's a mixture of some patterns being too odd and others too simple. I am sure that I'll knit from some of the patterns in there eventually - most likely the shorts and the baby romper first.

These were my favourites. If there are any books you eyed in the post from yesterday and would like to know more about, just let me know!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Ved du om man stadig kan købe Nøstebarn bogen mer og evt hvor? Jeg har ikke held i mine Google søgninger :) hvis du en dag får lyst til at lave en top fem el lignende over de mest brugte strikting til din guldklump så vil det være et hit her :)

Birgitte said...

Jeg har købt den direkte hos Nøstebarn en af de gange jeg også købte noget tøj der (det vil jeg i øvrigt anbefale - det er fantastisk til de små!); www.nostebarn.com. Det er dog en pebret affære :)

Det er en god idé med en top 5(?) over anvendt strik - mon ikke det skulle på programmmet til weekenden eller en gang i næste uge...