Inspired by a question from Karen, I decided to put together three Top 5 lists: Knits for Babies, Knits for Toddlers, and Not-so-useful Knits for Babies. I'll start off with the first one today and the rest will follow tomorrow and Tuesday.
These lists are entirely based on what I used most for my little one,
so yours may look differently. Bear in mind that mine was born in
January, so the materials may need to be changed if you're knitting for a
July baby!
It's no secret that the little one is a boy, so I'll mainly be focusing on knits for boys (something which is much harder to find patterns for than cute little patterns for girls!). Luckily, most boys' baby knits go equally well for girls, but not always vice versa (sigh). In all cases, the pattern I used may of course be substituted by a similar one - it's all a matter of taste!
My Top 5: Knits for Babies
1: Pebble Vest
Generally, vests (and hats) are hits for babies and also the items I most commonly knit as presents for the wee ones. The Pebble Vest is my favourite for the smallest ones (boys as well as girls) because it is easy to get on and off - and pretty! I've knit as many as six of these.
2: Earflap Baby Hat
I've mentioned this several times already this month, but this is by far my favourite baby hat. It works equally well in wool as in cotton, so this can be used for babies all year round. I've knit eight of these so far...
3: Baby Overalls
We used these overalls a lot back when the little one was smaller. I made some modifications to the original pattern, which you can read (some brief notes) about on my Ravelry project page.
4: A Hooded Cardigan
This could be any hooded cardigan (I'm quite keen on this one, too), but I knit Kerrera back in the days. Stylish and practical for the little ones with the hood in winter time. In warmer weather you may prefer one without a hood, like Crocus.
5: Baby Socks - with a Tie!
I could come up with both pros and cons of knitted baby booties. You can get far with ordinary, shop-bought socks (which stay on the foot), but in colder weather actual baby booties is a good addition - and cute. The only ones that ever worked for us (and were thus used a lot) were these. One thing: with my little one, a string to keep the socks on the foot was a must! What I particularly liked about these, then, was that the string was not a thin one made from one or two strands of yarn, but an actual, soft i-cord. They are from the same book as the overalls above.
That's my Top 5 for babies. What's on yours?
Stay tuned for the knits for toddlers tomorrow; some of these projects work equally well for 6 month old babies, so there is more inspiration to be had for the wee ones!





7 comments:
Perfekt gjennomgang for meg som nettopp har født en sønn. Takk for det, ser fram til flere tips! Helt enig i at vest er et must til baby.
Dessuten: Gratulerer som PhD!
Først et stort tillykke med den nye titel!
Dejlig gennemgang af top 5 baby-ting - imponerende så mange gange du har stikket nogle af tingene.
Kommer der også top 5 voksen-strik? Jeg synes det er så fedt at høre andres vurderinger af deres strik efter ibrugtagning - både holdbarhed og om det overhovedet blev brugt.
That's really helpful, I don't have any children myself so it's useful to know what is good and what isn't. Are the pebble vests quick to get on? The buttons don't make it too slow? I was wondering about making a pair of them for a friend who is expecting twins. Red is such a good colour for booties, always looks so cosy. I like http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stay-on-baby-booties-archive/comments#5 for booties because three mothers have contacted me to say that they were the only ones that stayed on when all else failed.
Tak! :)
@Lena: Jeg håber på også at få stykket et par indlæg sammen om strik til mig selv. Lidt mere komplekst end til børnene, men meget brugbart at læse hvad andre har af erfaringer, synes jeg.
@The Foggy Knitter: Regarding Pebble, I only used the side buttons until it was no longer an issue for the little one to get vests over his head. Then you can just leave it buttoned down the side and it's really fast to get on and off - but still possible to unbutton in 'emergency' situations :) I think it's a good idea to use some good, smooth buttons and a smooth yarn - that makes the buttoning quite fast.
Sock yarn sweater - it's a must for me. I like the hat that you knit, will have to try this one as well. Surprisingly, I find hooded sweaters not useful at all - I rather use cowls/scarfs and hats.
Oh, and by the way, I know it's not sustainable for you to keep on blogging as often as you do now, but I'm looking forward to these posts of yours every day.
Thank you, that's really helpful feedback, I shall do that then for the twins I think.
Fantastisk lille serie :) jeg må igang!!
Post a Comment