Thursday, March 20, 2014
The mittens
When going through my favourite knitting books last week, I mentioned the Norwegian pattern book Strikk til nøstebarn. Among other useful patterns, you'll find a brilliant pattern for mittens - in many sizes!
This autumn I knit two of these for the little one. They are knit in two strands of a woolen yarn (Holst Garn, Sloe) and then washed in the washing machine at a normal 40 degrees C cycle with wool detergent in order to felt them enough but not too much. I find these perfect for small hands as they are easy to put on and wear.
The particularly clever thing about this pattern for children's mittens is that there is no left and right. This is brilliant when putting them on - and when loosing one. At some point I thought we had lost one and knit another before finding the 'lost' one in a pocket, so now we have three! But since they are all identical, it doesn't matter which one we lose next :)
Having knit these for the little one I turned to the same pattern when I realized I needed a pair for biking to work. They are almost the same colour (which is very pleasing to the little one!), but not quite since I added an extra brown strand to these to get them thicker and larger for the larger hands.
Finally, some Ravelry links to the small ones and the big ones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Takk for tipset - disse har jeg faktisk aldri strikket, selv om jeg har brukt mange oppskrifter fra boka. Tror jeg må teste det ut, har i alle fall mye garnrester som kan brukes!
Post a Comment