Thursday, September 02, 2010

Sweater WIP Week - Thursday: 1960's

IMGP0397

As you can tell from the headline, today's sweater is very much related to the one from yesterday. Same book, but a different decade/design: this time the 60's. This design is not registered on the book's Ravelry page yet, but you can see a photo of the finished model (from the book) on my Ravelry project page.

I love how easy it is making this two-colour brioche stitch, considering the intriguing effect. It does however also take some time to knit - that's one of the properties of brioche stitch, isn't it? - so I've picked this one up again now with the hopes of finishing it before this upcoming winter ends. Ravelry tells me that it's been hibernating since December last year.

As far as I remember, the pattern suggests Isager Alpaca 2 for the black colour and Tvinni (Wool 2) for the white colour (though it could be Alpaca 2 here as well). I sort of reversed it, having black Tvinni and white Alpaca 2 because I want the softest yarn on the inside, against my skin, and where it doesn't matter too much when it starts pilling.

Again a brilliant design from Amimono, along the same lines as usual: simple, yet effective and fashionable.

5 comments:

Louise said...

man fristes helt til at tro at du er lidt vild med hende Helga Isager:-)

Birgitte said...

Hehe, hvordan kan du dog tro det? Og bare vent, der kommer én mere i morgen ;)

Britt said...

Ohhhh yes! Den er SÅ fed og også på min liste - sammen med en hel masse Amimono strik...

fridica said...

I'm not sure what brioche stitch is - is it the same as corrugated rib (knit 1 in colour A, purl 1 in colour B)? I did an edging like that once, and once I got the hang of it, it became quite fun, but I'm not sure I'd do a whole sweater like that! Also, the resulting fabric seemed kind of stiff, I wonder how that would work for a full-sized sweater...

Birgitte said...

Brioche stitch is not the same as corrugated rib - in fact, it is MUCH more loose and elastic than corrugated rib.
You can find videos, etc. on how to do it on Google, but I could not find a good one to link to showing how I do the two-colour version. I couldn't find any using the continental technique, which I find quite a lot easier, and I couldn't find any where you knit with one colour at a time, which is what I do and find much easier than working with both colours at the same time.