Tuesday, October 23, 2012

FO: Sarah Lund's New Sweater

About a month ago, the first episode of the third season of the famous Danish TV series The Killing (in Danish, Forbrydelsen) aired at 8 pm on Sunday night. To knitters, a new season of The Killing equals a new sweater - and not just any sweater, but a sweater from Faroese designers Gudrun&Gudrun to be (illegally?) copied by numerous yarn companies with more or less success.

Photo from Forbrydelsen III

The current season actually features at least three sweaters (plus the original white and brown one), but the first one to be shown, was this one.

 Photo from Forbrydelsen III

In fact, it was shown in two different versions in the first episode, and I liked the one with the straight edges better, even if that is not the one chosen to be the 'original Sarah Lund sweater' of season 3 (and the one she wears the most).

Fuelled by a Ravelry discussion about the sweater and the novelty value, I set out to make my own sweater right away. As my regular readers will be aware, I'm a fan of bright colours rather than the muted ones of the original sweater. Combined with a desire to knit from stash, mine ended op being red:


I finished it two weeks after the airing of the first episode (on the night after episode 3). Knowing I was going to pass by Copenhagen Court House (where Sarah Lund is photographed in the photo above since the building plays quite an important role in episode 2) the following day, I stayed awake to wait for the washing machine to finish so I could block it overnight. Here I am -

Sorry, I just had to... :)

I knit it from the bottom up with set-in sleeves and some adjustments compared to the original version, the major ones being 1) using the main colour around the neckline for a more finished look, and 2) raising the back neck for an 'ordinary' neckline despite the chevron pattern. Other than that, I stuck to the original design with stripes in a fluffy mohair and the main colour in 'normal wool' (although I did add some non-fluffy mohair to mine because it fit in so nicely).

Sarah Lund is known to be immensely fond of her sweaters, and now I understand why; mine is incredibly soft and easy to wear. Win! 


You can see a detail of the shoulder and back neck construction here. It may seem complicated, but it really wasn't - I just made the shaping as I went along, trying to reach the shape of an ordinary sweater with set-in sleeves despite knitting the chevron pattern.

If you can read Danish, you can find many more details on my Ravelry project page.

11 comments:

Monstermønster said...

Den er fantastisk! Fargevalg, utførelse, timing og photoshoot!

Bra jobbet! Og veldig kledelig.

Karen S, Lykkefanten said...

Oversej sweater (og meget lækrere i de varme farver), som klæder dig utrolig godt!
Også ret sejt at have et billede ved rettens søjler :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, morsomt bilde! Og fiiiiiin genser! Du var riktig pen med den.

juicyknits said...

Very impressive. I like your colour choice.

Madam Munch said...

Den er du kommet godt fra. Flot indtagning.

Kaptein Biff said...

SÅ fin!

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! You're an absolute knitting demon.

mooncalf said...

Wow! I loved it before I knew it was a Sarah Lund jumper and now I love it a little bit more.

I'm going to try to work out your notes and rummage through my stash...

Birgitte said...

Tak for alle jeres pæne ord! / Thank you all for your kind words!

@mooncalf - let me know if you need a translation :)

GrenDesign said...

Hvor ER den bare FED! Vel done - superflotte farver og meget smukt design. Ikke overraskende kan jeg meget bedre lide din version med pang på farverne!

Lien said...

This is fantastic. I've only seen the first series and it was great. I've been thinking about making the first Sarah Lund jumper and have asked my mother in law to have a look for suitable yarn in Denmark for me. This one might actually be easier to make.