Monday, June 18, 2012

FO: Cloudy Sunday - and a dress!


I am still knitting and reading a lot of blogs - I've even added some sewing blogs after I've taken up sewing over the past year - but that doesn't mean I'm blogging a lot myself, apparently. This short-sleeved cowl sweater has been finished since April 29th, but only yesterday did I manage to get a modeled photo of it. It's Cloudy Sunday by Hilary Smith Callis and you can read all about it on my Ravelry project page.

I could start showing you what I'm sewing, but most of it are clothes for the little one, and since DH is opposed to having photos of him on the internet before he can give his consent (and that may be a few years!), it's going to be pretty boring, unmodeled shots. That and I seem to be far from good at documenting my crafting at the moment, seeing as it took me almost two months to get this sweater on the blog. I will however show you the dress I made yesterday, since I'm so proud of it :)


It's made from a beautiful, thick blue-green silk (I'm no good at fabric names, but it's the sort that's woven from a blue thread and a green thread making a blue-green slightly stiff fabric) that DH brought home from Dubai on Friday and lined with a thin, stripy cotton voile that I had in my fabric stash (with matching thread, yay!). I made the pattern myself based on a Marimekko dress (the stripes were very helpful in reconstructing the nicely fitting bust dart - something I rarely encounter in dresses) during the second half of the Poland-Czech Republic football match on Saturday night. The little one decided that it was time to wake up at 5 AM Sunday morning, and by noon the dress was done - complete with name tag and all!
And, yes, I'm wearing jeans underneath, and, no, that is not the intention. 


6 comments:

juicyknits said...

Nice to hear from you and see that you've been so industrious. Amazing dress. I'm just picking up sewing, so you're up on my hero list for making a silk! dress.

GrenDesign said...

Skønne sager!
Uldtrøjen ser ud til at være perfekt til denne kølige sommer, men det ville være meget federe med den skønne silkekjole og sandaler!
Jeg ved godt hvad du mener med den Marimekko kjole - jeg har lige købt en her til sommer.....med kæmpestore røde Unikko blomster på.....ren sommerfest :-)

Ulla said...

Lækre ting, du har syet. Symaskinen er et farlig bekendt skab. Marimekko er en af mine absolutte favoritter i klædeskabet. Hvilket mønster har du brugt til mindstemandens bukser? Det er muligvis thaisilke, de er syet i ud fra din beskrivelse.


Anskaffer du en overlocker før Lykkefanten, den er genial til stræstof ;-)

Birgitte said...

Thank you! It did take me quite some time to stamp up the courage to sew in silk.

Tak skal I ha' :)
Jeg ville gerne eje en overlocker, men vi har desværre ikke rigtigt plads... Så indtil videre nøjes jeg med mit gode gamle Bernina-arvestykke, der kan sy zigzag og lige ud. Ind i mellem låner jeg så min mors nye Bernina, der kan en masse, og har dette forår syet en del på overlocker hos FOF...
Jeg har syet en del bukser til mindstemanden; mest efter Meedom&Meedom, som jeg synes har rigtig god pasform, og lidt efter Minikrea og Elsebeth Gynther. Dog ikke i silke :)
Nu du siger det, kaldte min mor det vist også thaisilke, så mon ikke det er det, det er.

Ulla said...

Tak for info.Den gamle bernina må du aldrig skille dig af med, de er deres vægt værd i guld.
Sjovt - jeg synes Meedom & Meedoms bukser er meget bredde til min unger. Mini-krea, Ottobre og især onion er mine favoritter.

Birgitte said...

Det kan være lillemanden er lidt bred om bagen ;)
Ottobre har jeg indtil videre kun syet trøjer efter, men har nogle bukser på trapperne. Onions posebuksemønster er også på lager - måske skulle jeg prøve det næste gang.