Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Foxy lady... ;)

Yesterday I finished the Colette Pullover (link to Ravelry) from Interweave Knits Winter 2007. My beloved Peter not being home before sunset I had to go and play with the self-timer to be able to show you photos of it today:


Above is my favourite picture (well, not because of the look in my face) but I'll show you some more just for the fun of it:



I am immensely pleased with the result! Being unable to structure a text properly this late in the afternoon, I'll put all the facts I want to share with you on bullet form:
  • I started this project in order to (1) practice my jacquard knitting skills (I think I've got hold of that technique now!), and (2) to see how jacquard and body shaping go together without having to think it up myself: they go together quite nicely, I must say! I'm very pleased with the result!
  • As you may have noticed, I'm still contemplating what buttons to sew on it. The buttons I originally planned to use are too large for the buttonholes (explanation for this below), and I haven't decided if I can live with some of the other buttons I have, or if I'll have to go and buy some. Until I decide, it will work perfectly well without the buttons, as you can see in the photos.
  • As I actually expected while knitting it, it turned out a little too large. I had a larger gauge (that's what you get when knitting from stash!), and even though I knit the smallest size (but fit the second-smallest) I was pretty sure it would still be a little too big for me. My suspicion turned out to be correct; but not to worry: I knew that this yarn would felt quite easily. However, felting in the washing machine is pretty uncontrollable... Luckily, I know how to felt by hand (I have made this jacket for myself; no knitting involved!), so crawling around on the kitchen floor I reduced the sweater size by 8 cm (~3") in the round and 3 cm lengthwise (~1.25"). 'Twas worth the trouble: the sweater now fits perfectly!
  • The felting and the jacquard pattern knitted with 2 strands of each colour makes it perfect for the chilly environment in which I move - and for the skiing holiday in Sölden (Austria) we're going this Saturday! What an incentive to finish the sweater.
  • And just a peculiarity: I did the sewing-before-cutting of the two neck opening steeks by hand! :)

And now for the stats (Stashalong-wise as well as general information):

  • Knitted with 2 strands of yarn all the way. The black main colour is wool from Henrichsen's Uldspinderi resembling Marianne Isager's Tvinni, though much cheaper when bought at the factory kilogram-wise. The two pink/heather contrast colours are both a single-ply yarns from the local farm Lystbækgaard near my parent's summer cottage in Western Denmark.
  • Knitted on needle size 3.5 mm in the round.
  • I used 542 g of stash yarn.
  • My 6th FO in 2008, giving me my 3rd free day (more on that below).
  • One of the items on my Stashalong list for 2008.
  • It is my February contribution to 12 projekter.

Regarding the free days (part of Stashalong): I have finished 6 items this year, and since I earn one free day (with the limitation of never buying more than I have used up so far) for every second item I finish, I've earned 3 free days this year. I used the first one in January on a rather modest purchase. I used the second a week ago - and I got the yarn today:


6 skeins of Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed in colourway Magnolia. 300 g of yarn added to the stash, but since I have already used more than 1500 g this year, it is quite all right, and still what I'd call a modest purchase.

Having finished my 6th object I've gone and spent the 3rd free day: It seems that modest purchases is my way to go this year: I've ordered 2x14 g of Habu Stainless Steel Wool. I've been wanting this peculiar yarn for some time know, so when Ysolda directed me and my fellow readers to a new Edinburgh yarn store with a webshop on the side being the only European(= no taxes or fees to be added) Habu Stainless carrying shop I know of, I couldn't resist making an order! I'm looking forward :)

11 comments:

Julia Zahle said...

Den er sgu flot, Birgitte!! odt gået!! Den klæder dig pgså godt!

Birgitte said...

Tusind tak, Julia!!! :D

nina said...

Hej Birgitte, nu bliver jeg nok nødt til at bande... for fanden den er fed!! Farverne er perfekte og den klæder dig super godt. Jeg er totalt misundelig :) Hvor er det mønstret er fra? Den er klart på min ønskeliste.

Birgitte said...

Hej Nina - man må gerne bande lidt her! Og tusind tak! :D

Mønsteret er fra det nummer af Interweave Knits der hedder Winter 2007 - det kan stadig bestilles som back issue her: http://www.interweaveknits.com/backissues/W_07.asp

Den var fin at strikke - udfordrende, men ikke uoverkommelig, og jeg synes jeg lærte noget om konstruktion og mønsterstrik. Anbefalelsesværdig.

God fornøjelse, hvis du går i gang med den :)

Anonymous said...

Den er dælme da godt nok blevet viiiildt flot! Klæder dig brandgodt! Godt gået!
Hvad skal du bruge det lækre Jo Sharp garn til?
KH Britt

Birgitte said...

Tusind tak, Britt :)

Jeg tror, at jeg skal bruge Jo Sharp garnet til en kort cardigan. Har ikke helt besluttet mig for mønster og form endnu, men har idéer. Jeg vil gerne have noget, jeg kan tage over de her A-linje kjoler og bluser, som hersker for tiden - og andre kjoler; og jeg synes korte cardigans er gode til det formål. Jeg synes også at denne her [http://www.ravelry.com/projects/drmingalive/puff-sleeve-jacket-22] minicardigan fra nyeste nr. af Vogue Knitting var meget fin, så måske bliver det noget i den stil.

Spændende er det... ;)

Lise aka Pindsvinet said...

Den er blevet virkelig flot :) Og fedt med de to røde nuancer sammen.

Julia Zahle said...

Der er også en kort cardigan-agtig ting i Lace Style - den hedder Katharine Hepburn Cardigan af Kathy Zimmermann. Tjek lige den ud - den synes jeg er rigtig sød!!

Lena said...

Ej hvor er den flot. Rigtig fed farvesammensætning. Og den klæder dig godt. God ferie.

Anonymous said...

Den er afsindig flot og lige "mine" farver. Kunne godt blive fristet, men den ligner et projekt, som virkelig ville udfordre min tålmodighed....

Birgitte said...

Mange tak, alle sammen :)

Jeg er glad for, at I kan li' farvesammensætningen! Det var egentlig mest en ikke helt gennemtænkt idé, fordi jeg jo havde de to farver liggende, men det endte jo godt.

Julia - ja, det er en go' idé; en oplagt inspirationskilde.

Pia - jo, en portion tålmodighed vil nok være på sin plads til dette projekt... :)